We are so thankful for the following non-profit organizations who have provided scholarship/grant funds to individuals for music therapy services.
- The Children’s Miracle Network (CMN)
- Kids in Need
- The La Crosse Area Autism Foundation (LAF)
- The Down Syndrome of Wisconsin – Children of the Heart – Greater La Crosse Area (DSAW-COTH-GLA)
Please be mindful that each organization has it own application process, guidelines, and payment process. LIH is not involved in the grant application process.
How to Maximize the Life of a Grant Award
Families may wish to cost-share with family funds to extend the life of a grant award. Some restrictions may apply based upon the type of grant award.
Below are a few suggestions to consider:
- Cost-sharing methods can be utilized for individual music therapy services paid per-quarter by using combined amounts from a grant award as well as family funds. This allows the family to receive the discounted per-quarter rate while sharing the cost between grant funds and family funds. LAF funds may only be used for pay-per-service options or group service costs.
- Enrolling in group music therapy services is a wonderful way to decrease the cost of services. Some individuals may wish to utilize their funds toward recreational music classes. Please note, some grants do require the service to be therapeutic and goal-oriented and do not cover recreational services. Please visit the pages for our therapy groups and recreational classes to identify the differences between these service options.
- Group series costs can also be split using a cost-share method by asking LIH to apply a portion of a grant award towards a group series cost while the family pays the other portion prior the start of the group.
- Finding a “music therapy match” may be a great option for sharing the cost of services with another family.
- Getting connected with the La Crosse Area Autism Foundation or the Children of the Heart-Greater La Crosse Area groups may be a perfect opportunity to identify another family wishing to share the cost of music therapy services. You can ask us to keep on the look out by completing our “Music Therapy Match” form online.
Additional Resource to Explore
In addition to the wonderful local grants available from CMN, DSAW, and LAF, we also suggest exploring this list: Ultimate List of Grants and Resources for Families with Special Needs. We are unsure if any of the grants on the list provide funding for music therapy; however, there are various opportunities to investigate.